The city of San Fernando, Pampanga is located 67 kilometers north of Metro Manila and 16 kilometers south of the former Clark Airbase and 50km east of the former Subic Naval Base. The City of San Fernando is strategically located in the heart of Central Luzon and a gateway to the North. It is composed of 35 barangays and has a land area of 6,774 hectares. The City of San Fernando has a projected total population of 305,290 based on the National Statistics Office (NSO) as of 2014. It also serves as the provincial capital of Pampanga and Regional Center of Central Luzon
1754 - The town of San Fernando was founded during the reign of Fernando VI, King of Spain. It was carved out from the town of Mexico and Bacolor
1829 - Angeles City formerly known as Bario Cuiat was separated from San Fernando.
1892 - The San Fernando railroad station, together with the Bagbag-Mabalacat stretch of the Manila-Dagupan Railroad was inaugurated. That same year, national hero Dr. Jose P. Rizal made a stop-over in the town as part of his mission to recruit members of the La Liga Filipina, a secret society he founded.
1989 - Gen. Emilio, together with his cabinet visited the town and proceeded to the convent of the Metropolitan Cathedral of San Fernando which serves as the military headquarter at that time.
1899 - Philippine Revolutionary troops led by Gen. Antonio Luna burned the casa municipal, the town church and several houses to render them useless to the approaching American forces.
1904 - The Pampanga Provincial Government was finally transferred to San Fernando from Bacolor.
1921 - The Pampanga Sugar Development Company (PASUDECO), the first Filipino financed sugar center began its operation in 1921. The company was formed in 1918 by large-scale planter which became a catalyst for the exponential growth of San Fernando.
1941 - Forces of the Japanese Imperial Army occupied the town and placed the municipal government under its supervision.
1942 - The San Fernando train station was the ending point of the long walk of the Filipino-American prisoners of war (Bataan Death March) which started in Bataan during the Japanese Colonization.
1991 - Mount Pinatubo erupted over 600 years of dormancy hurling a layer of ash and volcanic debris on the town.
1996 - The Pampanga Megadike was constructed, thus, preventing further damage to the town due to the Mt. Pinatubo eruption.
2001 - San Fernando became a component city through the ratification of Republic Act 8990 which made the City of San Fernando the 99th city of the Republic of the Philippines.